The Indian Government Wednesday replaced a 34-Year-Old National Policy on Education, framed in 1986, with the new education policy of 2020.
Corporate world in our country had always complain about the quality workforce availability in market and time & money spent on training these young force. The NEP, approved by the union cabinet, makes sweeping reforms in school and higher education including teaching ,to overhaul the complete education system with focussing more on regional languages and quality education to students.
In rich families, english has become first language of integration with household help and sometime with grandparents ,gardener everyone else . Most rich kids can't speak their mother tongue language hindi as good as while their parents grew up in hindi speaking areas as they speak foreign languages because they get easier access to learn french, german or spanish. You will see hardly any parent pushing their child to learn hindi ,sanskrit from private tutors ,where as other countries are teaching their kids hindi and sanskrit as future languages. In india's best schools, it is cool to not know hindi.
English has got superior status continued since the days of the britisher's. Even after the british left, english remained the language of command. Globalisation has made this even stronger as english is also the global language of business, especially finance.
The New Education Policy 2020 (NEP) aims to break the glass ceiling created by elite english speaking people .Policy decision to make all junior school instruction in local/home language is a pro-people decision.
The NEP puts focus on students mother tongue as the medium of instruction even as it sticks to the ‘three language formula’ but also mandates that no language would be imposed on anyone. The NEP only recommends the mother tongue as medium of instruction, and not make it compulsory.
“Wherever possible, the medium of instruction until at least Grade 5, but preferably till Grade 8 and beyond, will be the home language, mother tongue, local language or the regional language. Thereafter, the home or local language shall continue to be taught as a language wherever possible. This will be followed by both public and private schools," the policy states.
Key highlights of New Education Policy are :
1. 10+2 board structure is dropped and new school structure adopted as 5+3+3+4
2. Now onwards Up to 5 Pre-School, 6 to 8 Mid School, 8 to 11 High School , 12 Onwards Graduation
3. Any Degree will be 4 years
4. 6th Standard Onwards ,Students can select Vocational Courses
5. Coding lesson for kids class 6 onwards in new curriculumn
6. From 8th to 11 students can choose subjects as per their interest. All school Exams will be semester based, twice a year.
7. All graduation course will have major and minor subjects .Example - science student can have Physics as Major and Music as minor also. Any combination he can choose
8. All higher education will be governed by only one authority.
9. UGC AICTE will be merged.
10. All University government, Private, Open, Deemed, Vocational etc will have same grading and other rules.
11. New Teacher Training board will be setup for all kinds of teachers in country, no state can change training methods as per their choice.
12. Same level of Accreditation to any collage , based on its rating college will get autonomous rights and funds.
13. New Basic Learning Program will be created by government for parents to teach children up to 3 years in home and for preschool 3 to 6 years age.
14. Multiple entry and exit from any course.
15. Credit system for graduation for each year student will get some credits which he can utilize if he takes break in course and comes back again to complete course
16. The syllabus will be reduced to core knowledge of any subject only .More focus on student practical and application knowledge
17. For any graduation course if student complete only 1 year, will get a basic certificate. If student complete 2 years, will get Diploma certificate. If student complete full course then he will get degree certificate. So no year of any student will be wasted if he break the course in between.
18.All the graduation course fees of all Universities will be govern by single authority with capping on each course.